Author Topic: Not seeing crap......  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Not seeing crap......
« on: November 30, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
I'm not seeing crap moving during daylight in 3C . I have nocturnal pics but only a couple bucks since gun opened. What are you guys seeing this year?

Online greensider

• Super Hero Member
Re: Not seeing crap......
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
Definitely been a weird season had a ton of bucks on camera then nothing not even does

Offline deerslayer2

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 05:28:46 PM »
was seeing them opening day in 3j then they vanished
have not even seen a doe and thats 3 of us hunting

Offline deerslayer2

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 05:30:58 PM »
one of my spots is a corn field no tracks in the fields really weird

Offline Melly-Mel...

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »
3f dead tonight, wish ny would wake up and shorten the gun season to a week or less, and one buck tag per hunter annually.   Would make things soooo much better all around.
Broken, Beat, Scarred

Offline logic

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
Were two weeks into the season the deer know there being hunted. If we had a one week season it would have been over a week ago.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 06:46:10 PM »
Were two weeks into the season the deer know there being hunted. If we had a one week season it would have been over a week ago.

I'm aware of it Logic, I have in 4 years could set my clock to does coming into my spot right before dark. This year has been very sporadic and now it's been 5 sits without seeing a deer other than on camera at night. I figure it has alot to do with the excessive mast crop we had this year. I was wondering what others were seeing.

Offline logic

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 08:03:29 PM »
Ok. I saw two bucks tonight but have no buck tag. I see does here most years but not since fourth day of gun this year. Thought it was hunting pressure but may be food. The deer i see are very nervous though.

Offline jmack413

• NYS Supporter
  • vegetarian old indian word for lousy hunter,
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »
my backyard around 1 today following a doe around no tags for him  maybe next yaer

Offline brushwolf

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »
Tippin scales im hunting 3c also with the same results as you. In the last 5 sits I have seen 0 deer. I took a walk through this area this afternoon and there is minimal sign at best. This is a spot that normally holds plenty of deer. Mast crop here was light this year so that may be part of it. Definitely a weird season so far for me.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »
Definitely hunting pressure Pat, I saw the most deer I have seen in years yesterday,  it started at 705 am and was non stop deer all the way till 11Am when I shot my buck. 14 does/fawns and 2 bucks. I think that they got pushed in from pressures areas.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 09:18:17 AM »
I agree it's the food availability that has deer moving very little this year. I know every year deer get scarce that first 2 weeks of rifle but I typically still see deer just the bucks scatter here and by the last few days of November they start showing back up. 

Last night sit 0 deer. This morning I decided to sleep in a bit and head out at 7:45 to hunt mid-late morning hoping to catch deer on feet putting feed bag on last minute heading into storm. Of course deer were already there and I bumped out 5 deer in front of the blind going in. It's one of my resident herds of 2 mature does, 1 1.5 year old a fawn and a button.  So at least I saw something.... sitting in blind as I'm typing this at 9:05 hear deer coming from behind on a hot trot as the deer clears my first open window at 10' it's a small forkhorn I've seen in pictures a few weeks ago.  Maybe I'll see a shooter today.

Offline Camp Cook

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 09:48:39 AM »
Deer eat 2-4lbs of food per day.  They don’t have to move at all in my area.   The ground is still covered.    They haven’t even touch my two acres of standing corn yet. Last year the same field was completely devoured by opening day. With this going into the third week of gun they are just staying tight to cover.   I suspect we will see an increase in buck activity towards the end of this week with round two of the rut.   Keep after them and change if you are not seeing deer.

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Sometimes I would swear that the deer go underground after the rifle opener but this happens every year. After the first day or two the deer pattern us and change there daily movement accordingly. This is when you have to change your tactics, hunt areas with little to no pressure with heavy cover and available food. Don't over hunt your spots and stay in the woods all day if your schedule permits, sometimes i see more movement between 11-2 than the prime times of dawn and dusk . After 40+ years of pursuing these magnificent animals they never cease to amaze me. Keep at it and good luck.

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
I as well hadn't been seeing many deer this past week. The impending storm had them up on their feet this morning though. Had a group of 3 deer pass through at 9 am and then another group of 5 at 10:30 am. I echo the sentiment of the available food - like appleman said some spots are like an item #4 parking lot with all the acorns.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal