Author Topic: Where are all the deer hunters?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline MK

• Super Hero Member
Re: Where are all the deer hunters?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 07:05:08 AM »
I have access to and, am equipped to the teeth, to offer my Kids hunting and fishing adventures that I only could dream of when I was their age! From world class fishing on Lake Ontario to Deer and Elk locally and out West.....they’d rather play video games ALL F’n DAY!!! Pains me to no end. When I cash in my chips in the end there will be no one to pass all of this on to. Sad. 😑
Facebook Page "NY Reservoir Trout"

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 07:43:26 AM »
I have access to and, am equipped to the teeth, to offer my Kids hunting and fishing adventures that I only could dream of when I was their age! From world class fishing on Lake Ontario to Deer and Elk locally and out West.....they’d rather play video games ALL F’n DAY!!! Pains me to no end. When I cash in my chips in the end there will be no one to pass all of this on to. Sad. 😑

Unfortunately you and me are in the same situation MK , I need to beg and hound my son to get out hunting with me. Fishing is easier because I have a nice boat but that being said he will be out fishing but be glued to his phone or laying down in the cabin. It's just sad to me, I would have given anything to have his opportunities as a kid. I had an ambition and drive that he doesn't have and it goes for alot of other life aspects of sports, work outdoors basically anything I did it was a quest to become the best at it. He is just indifferent and says dad I'm not you..... what else is there to say or do? Kinda depressing.

Offline cbyzerman

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 07:54:20 AM »
A friend and i went to a deer processor in schoharie yesterday.I have never seen so many dead deer at one time,somebody has to be hunting,they didnt walk in by themselves.And i might add some impressive bucks i was amazed

I think that is due to a lot less deer processors and the fact that most people do not do there deer anymore.  When I was a kid there were 6 hunters on my street alone and by the end of first week of season everyone had 2 -3 deer hanging off there back decks.  I am still in touch with same people and now they shoot a deer it goes right to the processor. It may be different in your area but in dutchess county there is alot less hunting going on then there used to be....   

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
Only heard 6 shots opening morning by 10 AM and 3 of them came from me and my crew.  The least that I have heard ever.  I was thinking that it may have been due to the mast crop keeping the deer from bunching because they can fill their bellies at any oak tree they want.  If this is the case the bucks next year should be tremendous!
Post up your pictures JW, we would like to see em, sounds like you guys had a great morning.

Online GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
I think it has more to do with the decline of small game hunting. Growing up in the ADKs, I spent many falls and winters following my Dad around the woods grouse and hare hunting - some of my fondest memories. It was so much action - I could talk learning woodsmanship, fool around and target shoot. Both my kids enjoy waterfowl or upland hunting more - plenty of action, time watching the family chocolate lab do her thing and staying warm. They like deer hunting, but in moderation. Given a choice between a duck blind or 20 feet up in a tree, the kids make the dogs day. They like shooting their bows at 3d shoots. To me, deer hunting is a progression - I know my kids will relish it some day like I do but for now I give up as much deer hunting to get them out.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
I use to think the same way with my son he did not enjoy hunting one bit and to this day never been in the deer woods. He is 29 now travels the world lives in mexico and Boston and is more successful then ill ever be. They will find a path in life just let them be who they are..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »
Well today being thanksgiving day I remember when everyone got together and did drives this morning i was behind my house heard one shot ten minutes before legal time and a couple very far off I guess no one does drives anymore

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal