Hunting- In The New York Area > New York Big Game Hunting

Where are all the deer hunters?

(1/5) > >>

Warren:
I have hunted state land for 50 years and always had to work around other hunters. Not too many years ago the parking areas would be completely full on opening morning. Not this year. 2 cars opening day, Only heard a few shots and by 9am it was quite the rest of the day. I know of one guy who went out Sunday morning and he was the only one. Yesterday (Tuesday) where we hunt, no one else was in the woods. I saw no one the entire bow season while scouting (I don't bow hunt). I'm hearing the same thing from others.
What gives?
Are people giving up because of poor deer numbers, lack of access to land or AR?
Any guesses?

LouieM:
I have noticed the same and I think it is a lot of factors. Access is a huge factor and a lot of people do not want to put the work in anymore on public land.  The ones that do it seems to pay off eventually.    Also a lot of the long time hunters are aging out and less young hunters starting.  I myself am an adult on-set hunter and from experience I can say there is a barrier of entry. Especially on public land.   

KillerCrow:
LOL this deer hunter is home on the comp, i have hunted sat till 9:45 am all in all with in id say two mile area one other shot, and maybe if i counted ones way off 10 shots in total till that time,
then i spent the day out doors skinning my deer and shootin the poo with a few buddies not a single shot was heard, and we were in an area with both lots of public and private land that is norm crawling with hunters. 
Sunday was in the zena area sat from 6 am till 10 am only close shot i heard was my doe, and two about a mile off towards the sawkill flats. 
I was working in saugerties today just up 32 headed towards palenville and did hear a few chime off in the distance

Long story short as mentioned it appears that the woods are quite silent this season, but i have heard from a lot of hunters that they are not seeing much deer movement

MUSKRAT:
Maybe the ticks are keeping guys out of the woods .....Lyme is no joke ....

greensider:
Definitely not the war zone shooting it was 10 years ago opening day in Tioga County we heard about 20 shots the 25 minutes prior to legal shooting time then maybe 15 or 20 all day and only 15 or so Sunday hardly any in the afternoons and one shot Monday morning

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version