Author Topic: Live from the stand  (Read 40486 times)

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
Re: Live from the stand
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
Day 2 early bear
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2022, 04:36:07 AM »
Getting ready to head out it's a frosty 22 here should be a better weekend than the opener which was windy cold and heavy lake affect snow squalls

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2022, 05:34:35 AM »
Good luck nice cool morning here also.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline marchello19

• “ Dying ain’t much of a living son…”
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
Seen a couple doe think the rut is slowing down?! Any thoughts?

Online GrizG

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »
The trend continues... I've seen nothing but yearling bucks so far this year!  Happened again this morning... I haven't seen a doe or fawn or a legal buck! 
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2022, 03:56:11 PM »
The trend continues... I've seen nothing but yearling bucks so far this year!  Happened again this morning... I haven't seen a doe or fawn or a legal buck!
The bigger bucks won’t let those yearlings near their does, they wander around searching for rogue does, it’s been happening in my areas for several years, if you can find the does the bigger bucks should be lurking nearby. But it’s not that easy, lol. Keep at it Griz, you’ll find em.

Online GrizG

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2022, 07:04:28 PM »
The bigger bucks won’t let those yearlings near their does, they wander around searching for rogue does, it’s been happening in my areas for several years, if you can find the does the bigger bucks should be lurking nearby. But it’s not that easy, lol. Keep at it Griz, you’ll find em.
I'm going to keep at it... worst case I'll find one around Christmas with my flintlock... all I've been hunting with this year.

Part of the back story is that the huntable deer are on the surrounding unhuntable properties. Development and posting issues have given them safe haven... I recall years where on opening day a steady stream of deer would come out of the "big woods" and go into the unhuntable "little woods" behind my parents' house. They took a path through and out of the big woods that was close to houses making them unshootable.

One time my hunting buddy and I took a walk in the little woods mid-day opening day while taking a lunch break. It was like the Catskill Game Farm... there were deer all over the place! They barely moved out of our way to watch us as we walked through. I'm talking about deer standing 10 feet away from us... ! My buddy started running around barking like a dog and the deer simply stepped back and watched him. It was funny and sad at the same time... they KNEW they were safe there!😉 

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »
I'm going to keep at it... worst case I'll find one around Christmas with my flintlock... all I've been hunting with this year.

Part of the back story is that the huntable deer are on the surrounding unhuntable properties. Development and posting issues have given them safe haven... I recall years where on opening day a steady stream of deer would come out of the "big woods" and go into the unhuntable "little woods" behind my parents' house. They took a path through and out of the big woods that was close to houses making them unshootable.

One time my hunting buddy and I took a walk in the little woods mid-day opening day while taking a lunch break. It was like the Catskill Game Farm... there were deer all over the place! They barely moved out of our way to watch us as we walked through. I'm talking about deer standing 10 feet away from us... ! My buddy started running around barking like a dog and the deer simply stepped back and watched him. It was funny and sad at the same time... they KNEW they were safe there!😉
I agree, the deer hunting has changed in a few of my spots, and I also think the deer have evolved….they have adapted to areas that are non hunting areas, and they hardly ever leave those areas now. They sure do know how to survive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal