Hunting- In The New York Area > New York Small Game Hunting

2020-2030 pheasant plan

(1/1)

pmalelis:
Has anyone else written to the DEC regarding the plan. I sent Bill seggos and Tony Wilkinson an email. Outlining many points made in the dove hunting website. We need to get together on this. Even after shutting down farms PA released 4x the birds we do. My 2 kids just started hunting. Introed them to pheasants. We have a GSP. We need to really have a say or bird hunting will disappear.

joey:
Just seeing this.  Looked on their website.  Looks like current plan runs thru 2020. I guess any feed back from hunters would be good, but honestly I think the state does a great job. There’s more pheasants available than I have time to hunt.  Stewart is filthy with them as are some other smaller areas I won’t advertise.  I think the NYS Liscense cost is a good value for the hunting opportunity available.  I bought a resident lifetime about 15 years ago, before I fled, lol. I now hunt PA and recently they added the pheasant “permit” fee. I thought it was a good idea. I don’t mind paying $30 for the opportunity. And they also do a great job with stocking imo. So between those 2 states and a gun club I pay about $400 and can hunt pheasants nearly everyday from Oct 1 thru after Christmas.  I would like both states to stock more later but I understand the snow issues and lack of cover in the winter so....    they probably get way more feedback from anti hunters than hunters I bet

pmalelis:
I do feel there is a general complacency or hopelessness among some hunters. Where the state feels as long as they give us an "inch" we will be satisfied. Also that everyone just wants a weekend to shoot a few free birds. I do not personally feel releasing 30000 birds total is enough for the constituency.

I even know people that don't know pheasants In NY exist, and they call themselves hunters.

The comprehensiveness of the plan also seems rather lacking in many aspects with out much transparency. It seems like a literal guess on what is the Dec "actually" doing. Reports, completion of goals , timelines. Its pretty lame that I read other states pheasant plans on my off time. But they seem to me much more comprehensive and often have annual reports .

I would gladly pay for a pheasant stamp. Also how is the pheasant focus area gong? Any reports on projects completed? Successes? Failures?

The pheasants forever website barely even comments on NY anymore. A success story is something I would love to hear even a small one. It's sad that what some consider a success is that we went one more year not shutting down a game farm.

pmalelis:
And you are right about the anti hunters. They are allover the Dec on things like this.

One thing I can say is the anti hunters are always on the offensive and we are always defending the way of life.

I have never seen a winning team who always plays defense.

And that scares me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version