Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Take Em

• Super Hero Member
Re: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
 +1

Offline b-g-k

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 12:38:42 AM »
From what I’ve seen, it just plain old works.  Lots of 2.5 year old bucks being brought in to me.  More 2.5’s or older than 1.5’s.  I just wish more bucks made it to 3.5+ in the low lands.  For that to pan out I believe we’d need to become a 1 buck state.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
As a sullivan county guy I support the AR. I see both sides though.  While at a buddy's house this weekend I realized that AR might detour new hunters.  My buddy's wife is going to start hunting and they have 10 acres.  She wants to use a rifle and hunt her own property, doesn't care the size of the deer she just wants the meat and experience.  There are no rarely 3h doe tags handed out (where they live) and her property has ok doe traffic.  Only 2 legal bucks passed thru on their game camera and were at night during the rut.  These types of situations make me wish there were exceptions for 1st year hunters.  If a new hunter is in this situation, they may try hunting a year or two then give up.  I only started in 2017 and have had success on public land this year but not everybody has the time and will power to study maps, listen to hunting podcast and read books.  She just wants to sit out opening day and fill the freezer.  That tradition is going to continue to have less and less people as the years go on.  AR adds one more reason for a new hunter to get discouraged.  I need to convince her to get a crossbow instead and maybe a small food plot and set a blind over it.  That should hopefully assist in filling the freezer. 

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
From what I’ve seen, it just plain old works.  Lots of 2.5 year old bucks being brought in to me.  More 2.5’s or older than 1.5’s.  I just wish more bucks made it to 3.5+ in the low lands.  For that to pan out I believe we’d need to become a 1 buck state.

Agree with you b-g-k
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline danboy

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »
I was just wondering how many times while hunting you have time to count the points on a deer. So your hunting and see a rack that you think is legal and shoot. And when you approach it,  its only a four pointer. Now what do you do. Most likely you go back to your stand and continue hunting letting that deer lay there to rot. I know that a bunch of people are going to say they will report it and face fines BS no one wants to deal with the law. So I feel AR does more harm then good.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2019, 06:07:52 AM »
A friend who hunts in oneonta had a lot of bucks chasing does he hunts a mix on hardwood and hemlocks you don’t have much time to shoot he was getting so mad because he was seeing good racked bucks but couldn’t shoot because not enough time to count points he is in his 70s who knows how many seasons he has left he should not have to count points jmo

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2019, 08:53:40 AM »
It's been quite awhile since I stressed about counting points, 99% of time if it's a good sized rack deer consistent with a 2.5 year old its gonna have 3 on one side. On my cameras I've come to conclusion that 85% of my 1.5 year olds are also 3points or more on one side.

I understand it might be frustrating trying to diligently identify a buck and points. I really came into my own honing skills and maturing as a hunter with a bow so even when Gun hunting I won't take running shots and to be honest i cant remember last time i shot a deer more than 70 yards so split second decisions for me are easy. I know everyone is different and criteria and that's ok, I just can't remember a situation where in a buck frenzy not being able to pick out the biggest racked deer and I hunt thick stuff not open timber or fields but having a clear shot is the challenge.  And as stated before I do wish seniors were exempt and maybe even bump the youth age a year or 2 to get more kids involved in this dying sporr.

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »
I really like the way Ohio manages their herd.  It is a One buck state with any weapon. Their gun season is only about a week long that is after the rut, but with the use of crossbows, I feel it still leaves a lot of opportunity for those that do not bow hunt.

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2019, 11:14:31 AM »
Ok so jmop. I believe from my 35 plus years hunting you do have time to count horns. That extra time I believe makes the woods much safer. If you only have a split second to shoot no one can make me believe it would be a well placed and or safe shot. Accidents happen and I believe AR is not just good for the herd it also makes the woods safer having to identify your target and make 100% sure what you are shooting. Ok I am done.😁

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal