Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?  (Read 4096 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
We did a survey on here years ago. 250+ hunters participated in it and it was over 90% in favor of AR..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Recurver

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
To many rules not everyone is a trophy hunter.I'll give one example my wife only gets out a few times a year only 3 deer she saw were two 4pts and a spike could not shoot.Both of these would have been a trophy to her.What about the guy that only has a few days to hunt a year and has to pass because of the 3 on one side? you have to think about both sides.I hunt 3c and seen just as many big bucks before the antler restriction.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »
I just remember as a young hunter how infrequently you saw decent racked bucks, if you saw horns you shot it because you would be hard pressed to get another opportunity the whole season.  Nowadays I find being more selective alot easier because there are alot more up and coming bucks and usually a few shooter 2.5 7-8 pointers and at least 2 good  3.5 year old or better mature bucks in the area.

I have 3- 1.5 year old bucks sporting 7 or 8 point racks,  that would never happen before AR. Something changed with genetics once the buck take age structure came together after 5 years of implementation. 

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »
I have my #2 hit list buck I'm eyeing for this weekend.  I'm pretty sure he's a stud 2.5 year old but maybe a 3.5, what do you guys think?

Offline Chris1389

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
In westchester there are alot of mature bucks because of the archery only rule but there are less then ever now a days. My theory is that forever it was always Nov. 1st was opening day archery. For at least 10 years now its been Oct. 1st. Thats 31 more days of guys shooting bucks in general big or small.

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »
Didn’t Mr. Henry do a post back a few years and mention all the positive affects of the antler restrictions besides just growing bigger horns? I Recall a very informative post by him, a wildlife biologist who explained it very well and  stated nothing but facts, studies and research done by himself with all the good it does..... Id love to find that post because facts can’t be argued.  We’re all going to have different opinions and explain why we agree or disagree.......
Oh Yeah !

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Offline robert338

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 05:37:58 AM »
I have seen a huge improvement where i hunt in 4p....and i am strongly in favor of antler restrictions...i see a lot of people complain about their son, daughter, nephew and so on had to pass on a small buck because it was not legal...it seems to me they complain about the kill aspect of hunting....why does it have to be a buck that a kid harvests?...why not a doe?..im sure plenty of young hunter have a doe tag....but it seems like its always about not being able to shoot a buck....as far as i know antler restrictions do not apply to kids 17 and under...in my opinion, every hunter wants to kill a big buck...meat hunter or trophy hunter or whatever...if a 300 pound doe walked in front of them with a 180" buck that weighed 140 pounds, which one will the "meat" hunter shoot?..cmon....i never shot a doe or spike in my 35 years of hunting and i too was once a young hunter...but that was me...im not saying everyone should do as i did , it was my choice.....lets not make it about the "kill"....we as parents should teach our kids to enjoy the whole aspect of hunting.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 05:51:17 AM »
Tippin scales that looks like an old deer do you have pictures from previous years I don’t think a wild 2 year old would produce a rack like that

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 06:17:38 AM »
Tippen im thinking 2.5 look at its back line its still nice and straight . Deer has no muscular characteristics of a muture deer. Long legs no pot belly no block head and neck and body junction very small. Its a young buck with a nice rack.. JMO. 

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 06:21:32 AM »
You are probably correct but something doesn’t look right about his body actually looks a little sickly hopefully just the shot do you have any other pictures

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 07:04:15 AM »
Here are a couple more pics. He is not sickly looking at all just doesn't have that 3.5 or more mature look IMO. His nose is kinda short and pointy is what stands out to me most. From what I know my bow buck was the biggest in my area even talking with neighbors, this one is next largest unfortunately letting him walk another year is unlikely productive because of surrounding hunting pressure and State lands that get hunted hard in close proximity.  To me with harvesting a good Archery buck I won't shoot anything less than one pictured rest of season, I'd love for for son to get him as his first buck but he's not interested as much as I am. Those good daylight pics he was supposed to go out hunting with me and as much I tried he declined... I went and sat in stand at 2:50 and after pulling cards this buck came thru at 2:35pm which if he had gone I wanted to be in blind before 2pm. Ugh.... pictures were 5y from blind.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
Definitely looks a little fuller in body looked skinny in other ones I think 3 years old but by far no expert

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »
I have seen a huge improvement where i hunt in 4p....and i am strongly in favor of antler restrictions...i see a lot of people complain about their son, daughter, nephew and so on had to pass on a small buck because it was not legal...it seems to me they complain about the kill aspect of hunting....why does it have to be a buck that a kid harvests?...why not a doe?..im sure plenty of young hunter have a doe tag....but it seems like its always about not being able to shoot a buck....as far as i know antler restrictions do not apply to kids 17 and under...in my opinion, every hunter wants to kill a big buck...meat hunter or trophy hunter or whatever...if a 300 pound doe walked in front of them with a 180" buck that weighed 140 pounds, which one will the "meat" hunter shoot?..cmon....i never shot a doe or spike in my 35 years of hunting and i too was once a young hunter...but that was me...im not saying everyone should do as i did , it was my choice.....lets not make it about the "kill"....we as parents should teach our kids to enjoy the whole aspect of hunting.

Robert in a few of my debates alot of typically older hunters will under no circumstances shoot a doe but but will vehemently argue they want and will shoot a small spike or forkhorn instead, can you shed some light on this for me? It's ultimately anyone's choice if in a legal area and I respect it I just don't understand why not a doe....

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 07:43:19 AM »
Tippen im thinking 2.5 look at its back line its still nice and straight . Deer has no muscular characteristics of a muture deer. Long legs no pot belly no block head and neck and body junction very small. Its a young buck with a nice rack.. JMO. 
I agree

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal