Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »
Being we are more Statewide forum now I figured I post a question on what peoples thoughts are on the subject from those outside AR units?

Myself have being in the initial pilot program areas have seen and reaped the benefits of AR but am interested to hear others opinions.   (beers)

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
Re: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »
Don’t think it should be mandatory as to each their own and more people are doing it without being forced to these days

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »
Well, if you look at the bucks in 3j and  3c,( like stated original pilot program areas) the results speak for themselves. And I have been noticing a lot more yearling bucks with 8 pt racks for there first set of antlers, which leads me to believe that the genetics have gotten better since program has started. Those young bucks with 7 or 8 point racks turn out to be slammers. Young hunters can still shoot a spike or 4pt until 17 years old, I really think the DEC got it right. Plenty of legal bucks out there, for hunters to harvest.

Like Tipping scales said, let's here from the folks in not AR units.

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »
Well, if you look at the bucks in 3j and  3c,( like stated original pilot program areas) the results speak for themselves. And I have been noticing a lot more yearling bucks with 8 pt racks for there first set of antlers, which leads me to believe that the genetics have gotten better since program has started. Those young bucks with 7 or 8 point racks turn out to be slammers. Young hunters can still shoot a spike or 4pt until 17 years old, I really think the DEC got it right. Plenty of legal bucks out there, for hunters to harvest.

I am with DXT on this one......
Oh Yeah !

Offline Timbow

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
I hunt Columbia county and I really wish we had AR. It’s just a massacre of young bucks over here in Dutchess/Columbia county.

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »

I agree!

I am with DXT on this one......

Offline Camp Cook

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
I hunt Columbia all my life.  The age class of older bucks has increased without AR.   I passed up numerous 6 and small eights this pass week.  My belief is to let the hunter choose.   My one target buck is a huge 4 point that is at least 4 1/2 old.   

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »
I didn’t realize that my son who is 16 is allowed to shoot a buck with less than 3 on one side. Probably doesn’t matter because he always wants bigger . But he will be sitting alone this year for the first time. Thanks for the heads up DXT

Offline Overland

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
When Antler Restrictions first came out I was against them. My feelings have evolved and I am now strongly in favor. I like the fact that young hunters are exempt. The one significant change I would like to see is no restrictions for a hunter's first deer. I've been getting a new hunter into the sport and she has spent time in the woods but the only opportunity she has had was on a small buck. It would have meant a lot to her to be able to pull the trigger and complete the entire hunting experience and would likely make her far more likely to stick with the sport. If that one change could be made I think Antler Restrictions would be perfect.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
When Antler Restrictions first came out I was against them. My feelings have evolved and I am now strongly in favor. I like the fact that young hunters are exempt. The one significant change I would like to see is no restrictions for a hunter's first deer. I've been getting a new hunter into the sport and she has spent time in the woods but the only opportunity she has had was on a small buck. It would have meant a lot to her to be able to pull the trigger and complete the entire hunting experience and would likely make her far more likely to stick with the sport. If that one change could be made I think Antler Restrictions would be perfect.

I will offer up my 3J DMP to you Overland for you to use for the new Hunter....

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »
I didn’t realize that my son who is 16 is allowed to shoot a buck with less than 3 on one side. Probably doesn’t matter because he always wants bigger . But he will be sitting alone this year for the first time. Thanks for the heads up DXT
Heres a pic from the official guide to laws and regulations. Hey you never know Art he may see a giant 4 point, or something unique that he wants. Good luck guys!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Overland

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »

I will offer up my 3J DMP to you Overland for you to use for the new Hunter....

I appreciate it and that's very kind. She has DMPs but last season her only opportunity was on a small buck, not a doe. She has very limited time to hunt. We will try again this season!

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
Thanks Matt. You also.

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »

Couldn't agree more. I live and hunt in 3H and have seen tremendous results from AR.

Offline Buckster

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
I'm with Greensider.  As I've said before and will say again,  as the season progresses I become less and less selective.  By the end of the season I will be more than happy to kill a spike, three or four pointer.  I hunt because I enjoy it and like the meat.  I don't shoot does because I choose not to.  In well over fifty years of deer hunting never needed antler restrictions to get a trophy and you don't either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal