Author Topic: The dreaded gut shot deer  (Read 2805 times)

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
Re: The dreaded gut shot deer
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
hang with him ... to help go get ONx map for free for one week with NY map .... if he crosses land it'll show you who owns it if u need permission
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline ruck

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »
So long as you just bumped him this morning and didn't push him, he'll lay down close by, so I'd start fairly close to where you last saw him. I've read about the gut shot deer heading to water thing, but personally I never saw that. They always go a very short way after being bumped, and then lay down again.

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
He def wasn’t heading for the next county, he stopped at the top of the ridge then we didn’t hear him
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
Any idea how long it could take a deer with a puncture wound to the intestines to die? I’m assuming he doesn’t have the trauma of a full pass through or a deeper arrow wound so the usual 24hrs clearly doesn’t apply. We talking weeks? Days?
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »
Any idea how long it could take a deer with a puncture wound to the intestines to die? I’m assuming he doesn’t have the trauma of a full pass through or a deeper arrow wound so the usual 24hrs clearly doesn’t apply. We talking weeks? Days?
I just read a article in a book that I have,  author said he had one live 48 hours or more, he bumped it almost 48 hours after shot. he found it a 3 days later. 
Basically, the deer is dying due to poison in his blood system, and dehydration, (that's where the water comes in).
I would think that if you pick up where you last saw him, tomorrow, I would say that hes probably going to be dead, or maybe you might have to finish him.
I agree that he may not be hit as hard as a full pass through,  but he is having poison run through his system, wait till its light enough in case hes still alive,  sneak slowly, you may have to finish him.
I know it's tough but be patient,  I think you will get him.

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 08:11:09 AM »
Thanks DXT, you’ve been a great help! Going to try again around noon-1. Anyone know how long peritonitis takes to start really affecting the deer? At almost 48hrs now and will be 50+ once I look. 24hrs later he didn’t seem to be struggling but didn’t bolt like most jumped deer do. He didn’t see us, he heard something he didn’t like so he left his bed and went back along ridge top he came down.
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline cbyzerman

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
 I jumped one once 48 hrs after I shot him.... He was bedded in water covering his whole body. He busted through the swamp crashing like he was not even hurt....  Found him the next day over the ravine only 150 yds away in creek stiff as a board....  Must have died not far after I jumped him....  Your deer has to be dead now or very soon.......

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
That’s Cbyzerman, I’ll post an update this afternoon, hopefully a positive one
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »
The bigger the deer, the longer it will take. Was there water where you jumped him from? That should tell you if he’s feeling the effects. From the shot.

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 01:39:58 PM »
Just searched from 10am until now with no new sign. I just started at where I last saw him go up the ridge and followed that back for about 900yds north looking down on both sides. Then zig zagged my way back. There were a few small water sources but I didn’t see any sign of him. Insanely bummed right now.
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2019, 05:51:20 AM »
Go look for crows and buzzards over the next couple days. Seems u did everything you could do unfortunately this has or will happen to most bow hunters.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »
Searched approx 100 acres and grid searched for 4.5 miles with no sign of him. Maybe I’ll stumble across him during gun seaskn
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »
Sorry to hear Relf, they are a tough animal. Like you said,  maybe you will stumble across him during the rest of the hunting season.  If we get snow, you can follow coyote tracks also. Good luck with the rest of the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal