Author Topic: Early Rut  (Read 1066 times)

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
Early Rut
« on: November 06, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
Last three days all I've been seeing are yearling bucks and lone fawns, no mature Bucks or does. I was seeing more activity of mature Deer the last few days of October and into the beginning of November. I know this is early but could they be in lock down with the estrous does? what have your observations been?

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Re: Early Rut
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
I am surprised to not be seeing that many roadkill in my area yet this year. Is it a late rut?

I shot my 9 trailing a doe on Oct 19th which I thought was early but not much since on my trail cams.

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
Tons of rut activity the last week . But am seeing allot of bucks tending does as of Sunday.

Offline gill1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:07:52 PM »
agree. Breeding is happening.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
Lots of buck cruising, following does and grunting,  but haven't yet seen a serious chase by a bigger buck only a few small bucks that are harassing the does ( bigger bucks are still following carefully). But I am seeing the fawns by themselves , mom must have ditched em, lol.

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 04:14:07 PM »
Lots of buck cruising, following does and grunting,  but haven't yet seen a serious chase by a bigger buck only a few small bucks that are harassing the does ( bigger bucks are still following carefully). But I am seeing the fawns by themselves , mom must have ditched em, lol.

I concur with DXT. Been out the last 5 mornings. Small bucks chasing/harassing/responding eagerly to calls while big bucks cautiously cruising/checking. Also, seeing this years fawns/button bucks wandering aimlessly alone. Been a great time to be in the woods with high pressure/low morning temps - have had deer in range every watch. This coming Friday/Saturday looks like ideal conditions again, but sadly/not sadly I'll be in Ohio  x:)
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 05:46:01 PM »
Good luck in Ohio, that should be a great time to be there.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »
We saw good action early but it stopped as soon as it warned up each day

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 05:38:27 AM »
Good luck Goose. (beers)
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal