Author Topic: Live from the bow stand.  (Read 39965 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Live from the bow stand.
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:08:14 AM »
Let us who are sitting home or at work know whats going on live in the deer woods here. Good luck.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline highpeakshunter

Re: Live from the bow stand.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
In the deer woods for a couple hours then to work.
2 spikes and a doe so far.

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Arrived at stand around 2pm and first deer bumped was a buck
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 03:54:38 PM »
Just setting in had ac on while driving to stand

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 05:50:06 PM »
Good luck guys good time right now..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
Another young buck ... 20 minutes left
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »
Slooowwww, skeeters are pissing me off....

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 07:10:10 PM »
One doe a couple yards to far it was nice to be sleeping in a tree again

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 09:29:55 PM »
Had 4 does come in before dark and had deer out of sight that I could hear munching away on acorns.  Definitely bumper mast crop by me this year.

Offline highpeakshunter

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 08:40:26 AM »
   Not in the stand this morning, but this was last nights adventure. 
  Got in my stand 5,ish.  Sat for 10 minutes or so, and wasn't really prepared, release not on, hat off in hand & coverall top unzipped, bow hanging on hook. It was a little warm. Looked behind me and to my surprise a 5 or 6 point snuck up and was eating acorns, behind me, approx 20 yards or so. Got situated without him noticing any movement. Figured I try get some phone video & pictures, since no shot yet. Then I notice he started staring at something intensely behind him, for some time he stared. Finally I saw legs moving through the brush, and they were black and fuzzy.  Bear, I said to myself. Usually don't see them where I bow hunt, in the low lands. Now, not going to shoot the deer, I focus on the bear, but he is directly behind me. After he mozzied around for sometime, must have got to close to the buck, the buck runs right under and past my stand, stops broadside at 15 yards, but is still focused on the bear, looking towards me but through me, Ok... I will try to get more video of him cause I not going to shoot. He then runs off, as I can hear the bear getting closer behind me. Phone down now I get bow ready, trying to look at the corner of my eyes I see him, coming directly from behind but right towards my stand. So now I pick phone up again because he is right under me and cant shoot, I try get some good video of him, he stops at the base of my ladder, turns looks up and then puts his front feet on my ladder, I think he's coming up to sit with me! (Now this is a nice bear big wide head) He decides better to just sit on his butt and look up at me. Now, I think I'm still videoing him. He then realizes sitting there may be a bad idea as he starts sniffing the air. He takes off a on a full run,
 & stops.. I put phone down, and stand with bow ready, but he is now 40 yards and no shot. Game over, walks up the hill and gone. Well at least I got cool video footage!   Nope!!!   It never recorded, I was so focused on him, didn't realize it wasn't recording!!
Ohhh well!!!.... It will be a good memory!   Sorry... no bear footage!

Picture of the buck but its kinda fuzzy.

Offline highpeakshunter

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 12:12:01 PM »
Sorry, Didn't know the picture ended up sideways. Don't know how to fix.

Offline BennyYL

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
I got in the woods yesterday around 445 with the intention of still hunting and scouting a piece of the public property I haven’t stepped in yet. I jumped a small deer then decided to sit for a bit. 2 more smaller deer, one being a small spike walked out. Then a few minutes later, a buck, not sure of size, walked out about 75 yards maybe less away. When I got up to leave after shooting light, I turn around and there was a bear about 100 yards away looking right at me. So I hollered and he slowly worked off down the hill. Exciting first day when I wasn’t expecting much. Going back to the area today to see if I can sit closer on the ground to the path the buck and other deer trusted since they all walked out of the same area.

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
Nice encounter with that bear ....
I saw him about two days ago , crossing the rondout creek at Lefever falls , he's a nice
Good size bear ....  :-)
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline poncho

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
nice!!!   nothing like being back in the woods!!!!!!!   is a little warm and windy though   like you said its a memory in your brain forever (hunter)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »
Thats sounds like something that would happen to me highpeaks..  Ive had them come up my tree a ways its not a good feeling..  Lots of bears down low this year for sure.. Benny, sounds like you may have a new good spot.. Good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal