Author Topic: Crossbow recommendations  (Read 5494 times)

Offline Never Ends

Crossbow recommendations
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
I am looking to purchase a new crossbow this summer.  My heart was set on the Excalibur 355 micro, but I just found out that I can't hunt with a crossbow over 200lb pull in NYS.  Can any of you guys that have experience with crossbows recommend one for me?

Offline MK

• Super Hero Member
Re: Crossbow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
I have been using two different X-Bows, Ten Point Stealth SS (succeeded by the FX4) and the Ten Point Venom. Both are high quality precision machines! Ten Point has the best customer service in the industry which was a big factor in my decision making although I've yet to have a need to call TP! Lots of great X-bows out there! Good luck with your decision!

MK
Facebook Page "NY Reservoir Trout"

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
last year i got an empire beawolf the price verses speed was what sold me and its all it was said to be also i like the quiver set up

Offline Timbow

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
I have a Stryker strike zone 380. Works very well and has a great trigger. Having shot many xbows the biggest issues for me are the trigger and how it feels to carry. They are awkward. Look into the stock, weight and ballance. How does it feel when you hold it in the position it will be in while walking and shouldering it. Triggers are an issue on a lot of xbows I have shot. I hate travel and heavy triggers. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Barnett and Bear some other brands leave a bit to be desired aswell. Ten point make some really nice xbows, cost a bit more than some but Remember, you get what you pay for.  Swing by Northern Dutchess Archery. He has a bunch of them ten point, mission and Stryker. They will let you take a test shot before you buy.
Good luck.

Offline NDA

• NYS Supporter
  • NORTHERN DUTCHESS ARCHERY
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
I am looking to purchase a new crossbow this summer.  My heart was set on the Excalibur 355 micro, but I just found out that I can't hunt with a crossbow over 200lb pull in NYS.  Can any of you guys that have experience with crossbows recommend one for me?
Come on in and test shot some crossbows we have a good selection  as of now but the selection gets thin as we get closer to the season.
Northern dutchess archery 845 758 3651
NORTHERN DUTCHESS ARCHERY WE PUT THE PRO BACK IN PRO SHOP - LOCATED ON RT 9 RED HOOK, NY 845-758-3651 ndarchery.com OR LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
just joined the crossbow craze myself this summer and didn't want to break the bank so I bought a loaded PSE
Fang for $350 ......
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline striperman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »
I have the pse fang also and gr8 bow for the price.
Golf,the art of playing fetch with yourself.

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
Ten point shadow ultra light. Love it. little expensive but believe in research and spend the money upfront on something good and it will last forever. Jmop. It is what I shoot.

Offline Timbow

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
Shadow ultralight is a really nice one.

Offline Brown slayer

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
i have the pse fang. shoots good dirt cheap
I only fish on days that end with y

Offline dpc

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Just got my Ten Pt Wicked Ridge Invader G3...Wow is it great..3 shots and I was zeroed in....great package..went together quickly...My First...Great Crossbow...enjoy...got it on Amazon..

Offline Take Em

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
I'm going to jump into the crossbow craze too. Hoping Northern Dutchess still has a good selection. Would like to buy local if I can. I'm that last minute kind of guy these days. Better late than never right?

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
Haha, I'm gonna pick up one too..... no time to practice with the bow this year....

Offline Take Em

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 08:23:15 PM »
Exactly Pat. Lol. Same here. And most of my weekends are booked with other things next month.

Oh yeah..... and Jessica said it was ok  ;D

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »
Missy doesn't know she said ok to my new toy yet....lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal