Author Topic: SPOT BURNING  (Read 27662 times)

Offline ejp419

Re: SPOT BURNING
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 05:50:19 AM »
I posted and patrol over 800 acres. The first time I delt with trespassers I called the troopers. It was the one and only time I would call them. The trooper asked me if it was really worth it to catch a trespasser  ??? Now I call Encon. Even tho the fines n penalties should be greater, Encon will do the job. Caught 3 guys opening day tryin to jack a buck out the window. If I wasnt there they woulda. They were caught down the road with loaded weapons in the car. Last year, 2 trespassing ticket. Encon will do the job; around my area anyways...

Offline XkillerX

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
i think the best is a guy down in kerhonkson told me he had permission to hunt a piece of private property that my family surveyed, when i asked the guy who gave him permission he explained to me what the guy looked like but never gave me the owner's name, BECAUSE he said he did not want me to know who owned the land, i nicley then asked him his name.  was nice enough to leave the property and go strait to the owner's house, i then asked the owner if he knew so and so he said no and like i have told you before no one except you and your family should be on any of my property.  oh it gets better, i ran in to the same guy last year and he was bragging about the big buck he got on the piece of property that he did/does not have opermission to be on

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
On posted land I now take pictures of trespassers and text them to my sons phone so I have something to show owner's or ECO if it's needed.  As far as spot burning-- find your own darn spot.  Why do I need to lock stands on my my place.

Offline medbill

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
If you want to keep you stands lock them up with the biggest heavies chain you can put on them.  The only stand that wasn't stolen of mine off my neighbors property was the one with the heavy chain.  They cut the limb off trying but the genius cut it too far forward and the chain wouldn't stretch.  I'll never leave a stand out again unless I can see it from my house and on clearly posted property.  Even then...  Stay safe and have fun, if you are hunting deep in the woods and hear banjo music....its time to run.

Offline Bobby the cat

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »
If you want to keep you stands lock them up with the biggest heavies chain you can put on them.  The only stand that wasn't stolen of mine off my neighbors property was the one with the heavy chain.  They cut the limb off trying but the genius cut it too far forward and the chain wouldn't stretch.  I'll never leave a stand out again unless I can see it from my house and on clearly posted property.  Even then...  Stay safe and have fun, if you are hunting deep in the woods and hear banjo music....its time to run.

Did you have any of your stands stolen off BR?
I have had 1 stand stolen (years ago), and 1 molested last year (chain cut, support arm bent). Both were stolen from WP, which I found very surprising. But now, nothing surprises me when it comes to thieves and treestands.

Offline medbill

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »
I never left a stand in BR or WP and wow I am surprised it was stolen from there.  Well like you said nothing surprises me anymore.  These were stolen from practically my own backyard.  I leave NOTHING in the woods other than my tracks and gut piles from now on.  I do have a milkcrate back there now...watch it be missing now that I jinxed myself.  Stay safe and good hunting.

Offline GrizG

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
It goes through cycles where I hunt... every 3-4 years a bunch of "strangers" are in the woods the first weekend or two and then the place is all but empty until the next round. I figure that the strangers think there are too many people in there and that there are no deer so they don't come back. Most of the strangers I watch have no idea how to hunt deer so no deer are seen or harmed.  ;)  No still hunting when the strangers are around... strictly sit.

I try to hold "my" ground if possible but this year a stranger was set up 20 feet behind the spot where I've have sat for 20+ years. I planned on letting my son use the spot this year and three times the stranger was there... haven't seen that stranger since the second weekend but another guy was set up about 100 feet away another time. Ugh... you'd think after 43 years of hunting those woods people would know THEY'RE MY WOODS! LOL :o
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline Bobby the cat

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
I try to hold "my" ground if possible but this year a stranger was set up 20 feet behind the spot where I've have sat for 20+ years. I planned on letting my son use the spot this year and three times the stranger was there... haven't seen that stranger since the second weekend but another guy was set up about 100 feet away another time. Ugh... you'd think after 43 years of hunting those woods people would know THEY'RE MY WOODS! LOL :o

'Hold MY ground' ....
...MAN, I WISH!!!     -But who knows??? I may have hunted 'that ol-timer's spot' three years-in-a-row, and he returns and sees ME sittin in it!!!    I can imagine how bummed he must be...   

At least I have plenty of other (public) options in the mountains, and can go and get skunked alone.... :)

Good luck, all.

Offline scriperman

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:08 AM »
 Sucks that you guys have to deal with that on your own land maybe having a few hunters alike lease a few acres would help more eyes the better

Offline danboy

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »
ENCON does  their job. Last year I saw a guy hunt my property over bait and didn't say anything to him just walked by and called ENCON and they were there in about 15 min and issued the guy several tickets. Needless to say he wasn't hunting there this year.

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
glad to hear you had a good experience dan

wish I could say the same over the years, I have given up reporting any issues I see or hear

if the state wants to do research on people, they should pull records for people who have bought multiple lost tags over the last five years and that will put a lil damper on the people who as they put it lose their tags,

or again the ole well my wife and kids have tags but don't hunt so I can use them trick, that one I think is the best again if they are legally tagged what's the difference right LOL

got to luv the guy at the bar who brags about his two 8's thus far and how he still has 6 tags left in his family????

or just set up shop at gander, dicks or, tractor supply and follow each an every person who buys as advertised DEER corn LOL that one is the best esp when you see the ole mighty local hunters walking out with a pallet or two, and then have to listen to their BS stories about how hard hunting was and how they had to hike so far LOL

my annual rant is over

Offline GrizG

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 12:47:02 PM »

or just set up shop at gander, dicks or, tractor supply and follow each an every person who buys as advertised DEER corn LOL that one is the best esp when you see the ole mighty local hunters walking out with a pallet or two, and then have to listen to their BS stories about how hard hinting was and how they had to hike so far LOL
My parents' neighbor has been getting spoiled/bruised produce from a local store for many years. Some he uses himself but much of it is placed just inside the tree line behind his house. Year round at about 3:30 PM a steady stream of deer come through to congregate at that location... there are 12-15 there every day. What is particularly annoying is that it pulls the deer out of the huntable woods and into a residential area where even a bow wouldn't be legal... On the afternoon of opening day of regular season there have been 40-50 deer hunkered down in that little patch of woods. One year my hunting buddy and I took a walk through that patch of woods in the afternoon of opening day. It was like being at the Catskill Game Farm... the deer just looked at us and stepped aside as we walked amongst them. Bucks, does, fawns... it was like they knew it was a safe zone!

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline ruck

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
I don't report stuff anymore either, fishing or hunting related, it's a waste of time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal