Author Topic: Thread Hijacking - need a little help from you guys  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Tater Salad

• HVS STAFF.
  • Super Hero Member
  • Lou "Tater Salad" Lynch ... You Caught the Tater
Thread Hijacking - need a little help from you guys
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
Thread Hijacking

With the membership growing daily, this forum is becoming quite large and now houses a large variety of topics (which is great).  The posts and information found here are, in my opinion, one of the best hunting/fishing resources on the internet.  The problem is that with so many great contributions made by our sportsmen, the information becomes quickly unorganized when a thread (comments made in response to a topic) goes off topic.  This is called thread Hijacking.

Here is the Wikipedia definition:

Thread hijacking in internet forum communication is the act of steering a discussion off-topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.

Thread Hijacking is often accidental - caused by participants in the discussion responding to a throwaway remark, thus taking the thread off at a tangent to the original subject matter. The results often provoke a feeling of resentment from the author of the original post.

So we are asking for your help in keeping replies on-topic.  This is easily done by using the private messaging system or simply starting a new public topic when your reply is off-topic from the current thread.  I myself am guilty of this from time to time and have no problem being called out on it when it happens.

The more organized we keep your content the better of a resource the New York Sportsman.com forum becomes.

Thanks for your help

- Lou
Jake ... from State Farm

Offline Tater Salad

• HVS STAFF.
  • Super Hero Member
  • Lou "Tater Salad" Lynch ... You Caught the Tater
Re: Thread Hijacking - need a little help from you guys
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
One other thing ...

Duplicating a single post or topics over several categories scatters the information and replies making it unorganized as well.  It seemed to be OK when the forum was small, but as it gets larger it will undoubtedly lead to chaos and more work for the moderators.

Again, thanks for your help in keeping it organized.

- Lou
Jake ... from State Farm

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Thread Hijacking - need a little help from you guys
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
As lou says this is becoming a issue that we need to address, i myself am guilty of starting duplicate topics in the past and really noticed the affects it has on the forum with the carp derby threads posted over the last couple weeks,  the information was spread all over making it very unorganized and hard to find.  Any duplicate topics and thread hijacking will be removed by the forum staff. Thank you.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal